Documents to Provide Your Attorney

Posted by Unknown | Feb 11, 2019 | 0 Comments

Louisiana is a community property state, meaning that the assets and debts acquired during the marriage belong equally to both parties, with some exceptions. When it comes time to partition the community property, which is the process of dividing up the assets and debts of the parties, documentation is key. In most cases, these documents are provided by the client; thus, the client's documentation can sometimes make or break a case. Below is a list of documentation that you will need to provide your attorney for a community property partition:

  • A recent mortgage statement
  • Immovable property legal descriptions
  • Credit card statements
  • A list of moveable assets
  • Make, model, year and VIN number for all vehicles, boats, atvs, campers, trailers, etc.
  • Retirement account statements
  • Statements from joint checking and/or savings accounts
  • Loan documentation
  • Student loan statements
  • Whole life insurance policy statements
  • Outstanding medical bills

If the parties own a business together, you will also need to provide your attorney with the following:

  • Last three years of business tax returns
  • Last three years of profit and loss statements
  • Last three years of balance sheet statements
  • General Legers and bank statements for the business, especially if a business valuation will need to be performed

This is a general list of information that will assist your attorney in dividing up your assets and debts. If an asset or debt was acquired during the marriage, you will need to provide your attorney with all supporting documentation concerning that asset or debt. We hope you found this information helpful!

About the Author


There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.

Leave a Comment

Talk to An Experienced Attorney Today

Ivy can offer perspective and creative solutions to guide you down that path to the best possible outcome of an unfortunate situation. Her goal is to get you to a healthy state — legally, financially and mentally — to make the decisions that are best for you, your children and your future. Arrange a consultation today.